How to Replace an Under Sink Water Filter?
One of the most common repairs people have to do is change their water filter.
Whether you have a basic filter or a more advanced one, changing it is an easy task that most homeowners can handle.
In this article, we will show you how to change the water filter under your sink, from both a technical and practical standpoint.
What is a water filter?
A water filter is a device that helps remove contaminants from drinking water. Filters can be installed under the sink or in a tap, depending on the location of the water source.
How Does a Water filter Work?
Under the kitchen sink, there is a water filter that removes harmful chemicals and debris from the water before it enters the drinking water supply. If you’re ever wondering how a water filter works, read on for a brief explanation.
When you turn on the water at your house, it flows through your water pipes and into your faucet. The water then travels through your water filter, which is usually located under the kitchen sink. The purpose of this filter is to remove a number of harmful chemicals and debris from the water before it goes into the drinking supply.
How to Change the Water filter Under the Sink
If you’re like most homeowners, you probably don’t think much about your water filter. After all, it’s just a small, disposable piece of equipment that takes care of the dirty job of filtering your tap water. But if you’re like most homeowners, you might not be using your water filter as effectively as you could be.
- Put down a towel under the water filter just in case water spills into your cupboard
- Use the cartridge removal tool to loosen the housings on the water filter.
- Unscrew the housings from the water filter with your hands.
- Lift out one housing at a time from underneath the sink and up to the benchtop. (Note: There will be water inside the housings, so be careful not to spill it out)
- Take out the old cartridges and throw them in the bin.
- Tip out the old water that’s left inside the housings.
- Check the O-rings are still intact and use some water filter silicon lubricant on it if dry.
- Place your new cartridges into each housing and make sure the “This way up” instruction is facing up.
- Lift the housings back under the sink and line them up with the water filter and centre them up. Ensure you put them on in the right order.
- Screw the housings back on, and nip them up tight with the cartridge removal tool.
- Check the cartridge flushing guide for your particular cartridges
The types of water filters
There are a few different types of water filters that you can buy to change the water under the sink.
The most common type of filter is a cartridge-style filter. Cartridge-style filters are replaced by buying new cartridges, and they are very inexpensive to buy and replace.
Another type of water filter is a pitcher-style filter. These filters need to be replaced more often, but they also often have larger capacities than cartridge-style filters.
How to install a water filter under the sink
If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think about water filtration much. But if you’re like me and have a family of six, you definitely should. Water filtration is one of the most important things you can do to improve your health and protect the environment.
There are a lot of different types of water filters, so it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. I’ve put together a guide on how to install a water filter under the sink, so that you can choose the right one for your needs.
To start, you need to determine what kind of water filter you need. There are two main types: countertop filters and under-sink filters.
Countertop filters are the easiest to install. They sit on top of your kitchen sink and require no plumbing work. They work well for basic tap water filtration, but may not be effective against harmful contaminants such as lead and arsenic.
Under-sink filters are more complicated to install, but they’re worth it if you want to protect yourself from harmful contaminants in your drinking water. Under-sink filters require some plumbing work, but they’re also more versatile than counter
If you’re looking to change your water filter under the sink, there are a few things you’ll need. First and foremost, you’ll need to have some knowledge about where the water filter is located and how it’s connected to the faucet.
Secondly, you’ll need a wrench or an adjustable wrench that fits the size of your tap. And finally, if your old water filter is still in good condition, it might be a good idea to keep it around just in case you have to replace it while taking care of your new water filter.
Thanks for reading!